Here were our plans for our Valentines theme:
And here are the details for each activity:
I found these adorable mailboxes in the Target Dollar Spot this week so I knew I had to find a fun way to use them. Since we are working on syllables this week I printed small valentines with pictures on the front. Madelynn chose a valentine and clapped the syllables for the picture. Then she wrote the number of syllables on the inside of the card. Finally she placed it in the correct mailbox.
We started learning about 3D shapes this week with this set of foam shapes and a few shape puzzles. After exploring the foam 3D shapes and talking about the names, I printed and cut apart 8 heart puzzles. Madelynn matched the 3D shapes to the real objects and we practiced reading the names of each shape.
For more 3D shape practice we played a few games of 3D shape bingo with valentines candy to make things festive. Madelynn and I each chose one of the 3D shape bingo cards. Then we took turns choosing a a shape card and identifying the shape. Each time we chose a card we found and covered an object on the bingo card with the same shape. We continued to play until someone got 5 in a row before having a little candy as a treat.
Our last 3D shape activity was some Valentine’s themed hands on 3D shape building. I printed 3D shape cards for Madelynn to use as a model and she used jelly hearts and toothpicks to create each shape.
We used these mats to practice numbers 11-20 this week. First, Madelynn identified the large number. Then she made it with play dough and counted the hearts in the ten frame. Next, she used a dry erase marker to practice writing the number, and finally counted out heart candy to cover each heart.
Valentine Play Dough Cookies:
For this fun art project we started out tracing and coloring in hearts with white crayon on cardstock.
Next, Madelynn used an eye dropper to drip liquid watercolors on the paper. After the paper was covered in drops she used a small straw to blow the drops of paint all over the page. Then, she continued to add more colors and blow until the whole paper was covered and the hearts began to show through.
Our last project for the week was a heart stamping and resist picture. First I hot glued a few foam hearts to clothespins to make heart stamps. You can also find heart stampers here, but we didn’t have any on hand so I improvised. Then I used removable double sided tape to stick a large foam heart in the center of a piece of cardstock. Then I set up a tray with pink, red, purple and white tempera paint. Madelynn used the stampers to make hearts all around the page. When she was done, I pulled off the foam heart, there was a beautiful heart left in the center.